Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Impellizeri's

We had a family outing at Six Flags KY Kingdom yesterday. While wandering around aimlessly looking for a cheap pair of dry shoes for one of the monkeys, we noticed an Impellizeri's quietly tucked away in a suburbian strip mall east of Louisville. It is owned and operated by one of the sons of the original Impellizeri's. We had to give it a try. We ordered two Sicilian pie's. For most of our 40 minute wait, we were alone in the restaurant with the staff of two: the cook, one of the original Impellizeri brothers, and the waitress...a sweet, approval seeking, misguided and overly helpful hoosier. She gave the kids some dirty toys to play with, and called around looking for shoe stores. She gave us the number to a Walgreens written on a napkin, because they had a 99 cent sale on flip flops.

I have never seen such an overwhelming pile of pizza. We are talking about at least 3 1/2 inches high of pie. I can't properly compare this 'za with any previous cuisine. It was good, but too much for us simple folk to handle. If we ever go back, I will just order a normal pizza. The waitress told us that Impellizeri's on Bardstown Road in Louisville, which was run by the other Impellizeri brother, closed in February due to personal problems (divorce, bankruptcy, etc). So we bid a fond Chubsquad farewell to our favorite pizza parlor. I would recommend giving the second location a try if you just can't bring yourself to say "goodbye."

1 comment:

wretchasketch said...

I would say the pizza was good, but not nearly as good as the pie I remembered from the old location. It was hard to compare, anyhow, because I got something different than usual.

To Tony's credit, he did the cooking back when the place was owned by his dad.