Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2005

iPod with video: A Chubby Review

Okay, let me explain...

I bought Best Buy's Product Replacement Plan when I got my Third Generation iPod a year and a half ago. Since that time, I've had creeping problems with it, from the battery issue that spawned a class-action lawsuit to the final straw - then the metal portion of the casing started pulling away from the front plastic casing. That was worthy of cashing in.

I'm still working to get video loaded up. If you have Quicktime video, apparently that goes right on with no problem. I need to figure out how to convert .mov files.

Moving right along - what you get today is twice the memory I paid for a year and a half ago, 30 gigs, which translates to 7000 four-minute songs. At the moment I have just over 3000 songs and 12 pictures on molly 2.0, which leaves me with 16.5 gigs. What you get more than what you can buy with money is a screen that is a half-inch bigger. This is a massive improvement over the third generation. Also, the iPod "with video" is almost 25% slimmer than the third gen - about the same size and thickness of a cassette as opposed to a cassette case. The new iPod charges from my PC (the 3rd gen didn't), and comes with a little slipcase and the standard white earbuds that have become such an icon. Apple has taken a bold stand abandoning the firewire standard with the new iPod, and the unit comes with a USB2 cable (I had to buy an adapter the last time).

Queer as it sounds, I think one of the coolest points is that they're using a new algorithm for the shuffle setting that appears to produce a better variety of artists verses the old model, which would stick to a particular artist.

Gee whiz! Time to get back to work. Rock on!

No comments: